Sunday, March 17, 2013

Studio reflections...


My studio is evolving. I love the space that it is becoming. When I first viewed this house last year I knew this was the room that I wanted for my studio. It faces the deck and has views out over the valley and hills. From my desk I look out onto a dense, green part of the garden. The large windows let in loads of natural light. It's a space I want to be in - bright and inviting. Hence, I work better here than I have anywhere else. I lose hours here listening to radio national (a sign that one is maturing!), painting, drawing, cutting, pasting and assembling. My favourite thing about this room is that it's in the centre of the action, as the space is an extension of our most trafficked living space. My relationship with art and my practice is healthier when it is integrated into my everyday life like this. 

The studio is extremely important to my practice and I enjoy documenting the way it evolves as it gives me great insight into the evolution of my practice as a whole. I've been documenting my studio spaces for the past 5 years and it's interesting to see how my working methods have changed. I've always required a tidy, organised space in which to work. Chaos simply doesn't work for me (most other artists I know seem to deal with chaos just fine!). At the end of every day I tidy my workspace - it's a little ritual that I take immense pleasure in. Oftentimes, after I finish organising my clutter, the cat will leap onto the desk and take up residence on a pile of paper I've just carefully assembled. I've learnt to cover works in process with scrap paper to protect them from feline fur and kitty paws. But I'm glad she shares this space with me. It's a comfort to see her resting peacefully amongst my creative debris.

I think I should like to do a post showing photos of my studio spaces over the past 6 or 7 years. Time to take a trip through the archives. But for now, here's my studio in its current state. Right now the cat is curled up on top of a pile of collage cut-outs, ready for some action in the morn...

7 comments:

  1. Shell, your studio is indeed tidy and organized which I'm sure is partly why your work has a peaceful quality to it. I love the idea of cleaning up the studio each night but usually just slowly clean my brushes while listening to music and talking to Mayo, the bunny.
    I recognize the chickens as the ones in the photos I bought from year a while back. People always comment on them and that makes me think of you. Thank you again.
    Have a great week. xo Carole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Yes, those chickens are my permanent studio buddies. They're good and quiet company. :) Nowhere near as good as a bunny though! My space is actually quite small so if i go crazy being messy and all I am quickly swamped by madness. I need to come and visit your blog...

      Delete
  2. I love seeing photos of studios!
    I can't wait to get a permanent studio set up. Hopefully at the end of this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I think studios are magical places! I look forward to seeing pictures of your studio when you get around to setting it up. A Blackbutt studio?

      Delete
  3. What a great space! I'd love a spot like that for working on things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a luxury for which I am most grateful! ;)

      Delete
    2. Yours is a lovely clean fresh space - thanks for the insight. I love to see the spaces in which people work. Surely someone has done a book on it!! I am inspired to get mine sorted. I currently co-reside with a family of rodents, many spiders and much farm dust. It's hard to keep the farm outside from coming inside.

      Delete