Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Alone with the Moon


Wowsers! After a frenzied and frenetic 6 weeks of studio madness I've finally finished the work for my next exhibition. Yesterday afternoon I carefully placed sheets of greaseproof paper between each work and bundled them all up into a large plastic folio. Then I took myself, and my works, to the framers. They're there now and I can't wait to see them in their new frames.

As you can see, these works aren't for neutral palette lovers. No, indeed! I haven't even tried to reign in my love of colour here. It's all out there. I'm interested in psychedelia and have wanted to make a body of work which explores the visual aesthetic of psychedelic art for a while now. I think that a psychedelic aesthetic has penetrated much of my work in the past, but self censorship has always forced me to pull back, sometimes editing out all traces of the influence. It's no secret that I love bold, bright and bombastic colour so I'm not shy of exploring the psychedelic visual, however it's tricky to go there without falling into visual cliches. Here I've used rorschachs, kaleidoscopic designs, loose symmetry and stream of conscious scribbles to build these works. The animals reference a symbology, one that's more archetypal than personal. Whales are like the most super new-age creature on the planet don't ya know? Especially if they're flying through cosmic star dust! 

This is the first time I will exhibit works on paper and I'm very excited as they are an important part of my practice. I already have plans to create a larger project from these works, extending them into objects and wearable pieces. Yes!  

4 comments:

  1. I love the one with the Goddess figurine! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kellie! I love 'Venus' figurines and have made some in the past - I'm deliberating over whether or not to use them in the show.

      Delete
  2. Yay for colour! Bright, beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete